Since the first Ford Puma released, this vehicle has been used for over 20 years. But with the amazing look, this vehicle still attracts many new fans to buy it. Old vehicles have some problem especially on the headlight. As time going, the original headlight could be foggy or yellowing. How can we fix it? Actually it is not difficult, I am writing the tutorial to tell you how to do it. Just follow to me.
The tools you will use:
- drill/drill press
- socket wrench/sockets
- clear silicone
- 800, 1000, 2000 grit sandpaper
- soapy water
- headlight lens cleaner and polish
- bolts and nuts
- chrome paint
- patience, patience, PATIENCE
Remove the Headlight Housing
- Remove the Headlight Unit from the car.
2. Dissemble the unit as shown in the next picture;
3. Next, dissemble the xenon projectors from the headlights;
4. Remove all light bulbs; clear the wiring away. There are three ball joints mountings that are used to adjust the lights positioning.
5. Carefully pull out projectors from their mountings;
6. Projectors are held to the black plastic stand by three T17 bolts.
7. And you will come with this;
8. Now for the final part of disassembly proves, you need to remove the three rivets that hold the reflector and the magnifier together;
9. And the only way to do that is by cutting them.
10. Now wet-sand the reflectors with 1200-2000 grid until you remove the burned coat.
Refresh the Relector
For the new reflector layer you can use a chrome/ nickel spray. Apply 3 to 5 layers of paint.
The finished product should look like this.
I know it is not the most reflective paint but still it is much much better than what it used to be.
Reinstall the Headlight Housing
Now wait about 10 to 12 hours for the paint to dry and repeat the disassembly process backwards to put the headlights back together.
Before you put your headlight plastic cover back, make sure it is properly cleaned from the inside.
If the plastic is still foggy or yellow, you can use wet-sand paper again until you matte them.
After that, use polishers or any rubbing compounds to bring a clear and shiny look.
Then reassemble and restored the headlight back on the vehicle.
Just taking several steps and that may cost 2-3 hours, you will get a totally refreshed headlight.
What do you think?